Removing Kitchen Water Damage
Frozen or Leaking Pipes Causing Problems in your Kitchen
Winter can be a trying time for pipes in any home. Whether you are stressed with pipe leaks, frozen pipes, or other plumbing concerns that come from the weather during this season, it is crucial to address them quickly. All it takes is a hole as small to pour hundreds of gallons of water into your home each day.
If the kitchen of your home has suffered water damage, IICRC certified SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana technicians are ready to restore your home to a pre loss condition. These disaster mitigation experts are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, because disasters do not occur on a 9-to-5 schedule.
Signs of Damaged Pipes in Your Kitchen
Winter can be a risky time for pipes, so keep an eye out for the signs of frozen or damaged plumbing in your kitchen:
- Temperature. The most significant factor that determines whether pipes can freeze is whether the weather is at or below freezing temperatures. Have your plumbing inspected for potential exposures as soon as possible, ideally before the first frost or the next dip in temperatures.
- Frost. Check exposed pipes for frost accumulation on the outside of the pipe, especially under the kitchen sink. This is a common warning sign that the pipe is frozen.
- Water. If water is not coming out of the faucet and there is either no water or only a slight trickle, the pipe supplying the water to that faucet might be frozen.
- Odors. One of the biggest giveaways of a blocked or frozen pipe comes in the form of strange smells. Because blockage prevents the travel of water through the pipe, the only way for odors to move is up through drains.
How SERVPRO Can Help
The most crucial step technicians take before establishing drying goals and extracting water from your home is measuring moisture with a variety of advanced tools. If you have a pipe leak behind an exterior kitchen wall, for example, technicians can use ultraviolet cameras to detect moisture behind visible surfaces that might be affecting structural materials such as studs, insulation, and drywall.
Other measurement tools, including penetrating and non-penetrating sensors and meters, are consistently used throughout the cleaning and drying process and compared with the ideal relative humidity for various materials.
SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana can ensure that your kitchen looks, "Like it never even happened." You can call (217) 355-0077 for a cleanup that begins within hours!
Urbana Fire Kids Christmas Party
Kids Enjoying the Christmas party
T’was the week before Christmas and all through SERVPRO, the decorations were hung with the SERVPRO sleigh loaded with gifts. All that was needed was firemen Phil, Urbana Fire Department (UFD) version of Saint Nick.
We here at SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana love being involved in the community, whether it’s a Parade during the Holiday seasons or partnering with local programs. Each year our local Walmart and Meijer donate approximately 10 gifts cards to the UFD. With this donation the UFD contacts all Urbana schools and requests their recommendation of two to three families in need of a little help financially with Christmas gifts such as toys, clothes, shoes, and more.
What does the evening look like?
Families show up at SERVPRO around 5:30 pm. They start the evening with pizza, juice boxes, and water. The parents then head for their local Walmart or Meijer according to the gift card they were given. They will then meet with a Fire Fighter and Store associate who will walk around the store with the Parents. The Fire personnel and store employee help with the calculation on the purchases to stay within the designated amount, along with making sure the gifts are for the kids and purchases don’t include big ticket items like electronics.
Crafts, a bounce house, and so much more go into making this an enjoyable experience for the kids. Stations are set up throughout the warehouse for groups of 5 to move to during the night. Our staff of employees volunteer their time to help these kids have a great night. Some are at each station to give directions on what the kids will be able to do and oversee their area, while others are the group leaders and assists the children on their crafts , games, and getting them from one station to the next. We also have employees distributing the foods and drinks, along with treats and prizes for the homemade gift bags for each kid to take home. And don’t forget the Elves! Wondering around all night are our SERVPRO elves keeping an eye on the kids to report back to Santa.
SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana Thanks the Urbana Fire Department and the families involved for allowing us to be a part of this annual event. If you would like to know how to donate or volunteer with us next year, Contact our office at (217) 355-0077 or the UFD Fire Marshal Phil Edwards at (217) 384-2445.
4 Tips for Making a Flood Insurance Claim
4 Tips for Making a Flood Insurance Claim
If your home has been damaged in a flood, then you will need to make a flood claim to help cover the costs of repairs. Addressing the situation in the right way will help you get through the process more easily and with less stress. The following tips may help.
- Call Right Away
When making a flood claim, it is important to contact your insurance company as soon as you can. Waiting too long to do so can cause your claim to be denied, as many policies require you to make a report within a certain time period. Filing your claim sooner also allows you to get the process started and finished more quickly.
- Go Over the Details
While you may have read over your policy when you purchased it, you probably haven’t spent much time studying it since then. Look over it carefully so you know what to expect and what is expected of you.
- Start on Mitigation Quickly
It can take some time for your insurance adjuster to arrive to inspect your house, so don’t feel like you need to wait to start taking care of the damage. In some cases, waiting too long to begin mitigation and allowing the damage to worsen can cause your insurance claim to be denied. To avoid this, contact a cleanup and restoration company to start work right away.
- Document Any Damage
While you don’t need to wait for your adjuster to begin cleaning up, you should make sure you have evidence of the damage. Take photos of affected areas and belongings and set aside items in a safe location. The restoration company can help with this task before they begin working on repairs.
Filing a flood claim might seem like a complicated process, but keeping a level head and following these steps can make it go more smoothly. If you are uncertain about anything, don’t hesitate to SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana anytime at (217) 355-0077.
Our Certified Technicians Have The Training And Equipment Necessary After A Water Damage Disaster
Addressing Heater-Related Water Damage in Champaign-Urbana
In many homes, the water heater is one of those fixtures that homeowners count on to always work. With regular checkups, these items can last as long as 8 to 12 years with minimal issues. Leaks from loose valves, old connectors, or damage to the tank are factors that contribute to these appliances being one of the top five causes of water damage.
If your home has experienced water damage our SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana technicians are always available to clean up the damage and restore your home to a pre loss condition. These technicians strive to provide homeowners with clean up services that use cutting-edge technologies and scientific theory to restore structures while minimizing repair and replacement costs for homeowners when possible.
Preventive Maintenance for Water Heaters
Keep these items in mind for maintaining your water heater throughout its lifespan:
- Monitor the pressure relief valve. This valve is typically located on the top or the side of the heater. It opens automatically if the pressure is too high. To check it, gently lift the valve after placing a bucket under the discharge pipe to collect any excess water. If the valve does not release any water, replace the valve.
- Periodically drain sediments from the tank. Allowing sediment to build up without regular draining can affect the lifespan of your water heater and increase your energy costs. To fix this, open the drain valve and let the water run until it is free of sediment. Releasing 2 to 3 gallons is usually enough to flush out of the system.
- Keep an ear open for gurgling, groaning, and similar noises. These noises are typically signs of air entering the system as water drains from it. If you have trouble closing the drain valve after checking on your heater, drain the tank, unscrew the old valve, and screw in a new one instead. Restart the water heater by opening the shut-off valves and letting the hot water run at the nearest faucet to remove air from the system. After that, you can turn the power back on or relight the pilot.
SERVPRO Removes Water Damage Fast
After SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana comes to your home to evaluate the water damage they can get to work measuring moisture levels and extracting water from the affected area with extraction wands, wet/dry vacuums, mops, squeegees, and other materials. Afterward, the area can be prepared for drying with air movers and dehumidifiers. These systems work together to remove moisture from surfaces and accelerate drying with the introduction of warm, dry air.
SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana strives to serve residents by being Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call (217) 355-0077 today for speedy disaster cleanup.
3 Differences Between Flood Damage and Storm Damage
Storm Damaged Home
3 Differences between Flood Damage and Storm Damage
If your Champaign-Urbana building is damaged during a storm, you might think that all of the water damage falls into one category, but this is not necessarily the case. Flood damage is actually a bit different from other types of damage caused by water. The following are a few distinctions.
- Where the Water Comes From
Perhaps the easiest way to determine whether you are dealing with flood damage or other water damage is to figure out where the water is coming from. Generally, if the water comes from above, then it is regular water damage. This can include leaks and broken pipes. If the water is rising up from the ground, then this is always considered flood water.
- The Level of Water Contamination
A lot of the water involved in storm damage is considered to be category 1 or clean water. Water from damaged pipes or supply lines also belongs to this category. Flood water, on the other hand, is category 3 or black water. This means that it is highly contaminated and should be avoided. This is because water from a flood mixes with sewage and other contaminants on the ground. Anything that it touches, including home contents, will need to be thrown away or thoroughly sanitized.
- Whether It is Included in Your Insurance Policy
Another important difference between damage from a flood and damage from other water sources is that flooding is usually not included in your basic insurance policy. If you want coverage for this type of damage, then you will need to purchase a separate flood policy. Whether you are dealing with clean water or flood damage, you will need to have it taken care for quickly to avoid further damage to your building. Moisture of any type can contribute to weakened materials or mold growth. SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana can remove the water and perform any necessary repairs.
Call us at 217-355-0077 at any time.
Why you want SERVPRO on Your Side After a Fire.
The chill of winter is here and with it, an increased risk of fire. The Red Cross reports that the rate of home fires increase in winter months due to factors such as space heaters, Christmas lights and increased use of fireplaces.
While we all hope a fire will never happen to us, planning for what to do in case it does is wise. This includes creating a fire escape plan for your household but also choosing what restoration company to work with to mitigate the damage. By deciding this in advance, you will be able to better react should a fire occur.
Choosing a fire restoration company is one of the most important things to look at, a fire restoration company is who will be able to restore your house and its contents to the pre-fire state. That is why we utilize three methods of deep-cleaning to ensure your life can resume like normal. Our trained technicians of SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana can handle:
Fire damage can seep into every aspect of your home, even requiring the structural elements to need thorough cleaning. By doing a pretest, we will determine the extent of the damage first thing, then begin cleaning the required surfaces with the recommended equipment and cleaning solutions. This can involve cleaning soot deposits off surfaces and preparing walls for repainting by preparing the surfaces to adhere to paint.
What fills your home is just as valuable as the home itself, which is why we promise to take care of your belongings and restore what we are able to. We can clean and deodorize area rugs, furniture and upholstery in most cases, utilizing either wet or dry cleaning processes. All other belongings that are eligible will also be restored to pre loss conditions, including electronics, furniture, clothing and more.
Fire can leave behind tenacious smoke odors, but it can also leave behind hazardous soot particles that can lead to health issues. Instead of utilizing artificial fragrances to mask the odors, we are able to go to the source and remove them by utilizing air scrubbers and other tools. With a variety of deodorization methods available, we will work with you to find what is best for your situation.
If you’ve been affected by a fire, reach out right away! You can call us anytime at (217) 355-0077.
Sewer Problems at Work? The Pros Take These Immediate Actions
It’s not uncommon for an office building to experience flooding. This can be the result of many factors, such as a broken pipe, a poor foundation, or insufficient drainage. Another culprit is when the sewer backs up. In many ways, this can be the most troublesome and require the most extensive attention. If this happens in your Champaign/Urbana, workplace, you need to start the sewer cleanup process without delay.
If sewer problems have brought flooding into your building, you could be dealing with the harmful black water.
To maintain the safety and well-being of your staff, and to avoid additional problems, you need to do the following:
• Evacuate the affected area and stay area.
• Take photos of the sewer backup and the damage it caused without getting too close to the water.
• Call your insurance company and provide them with the photos.
• Call a reputable sewer cleanup team to start the restoration and sanitizing process.
One of the many advantages of calling a professional crew is that it not only has the equipment and expertise you need, but it can arrive on the scene quickly—usually on the same day as your call. The technicians will start by evaluating how badly your office was damaged, whether it was due to a flooded toilet or something more complex such as a sewer line break.
Using safe methods, the team will extract the water from the floors, furniture, walls, and other areas. The company has specialized tools to thoroughly remove all water.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Getting rid the water is only part of the sewer cleanup job. The team will also use powerful chemicals and disinfectants to ensure that the area is completely sanitary. This will enable you to once again use the space.
Don’t trust just anyone to take care of the sewer cleanup in your workplace. The best companies will make sure your office is returned to its pre-flood state.
SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana - (217)355-0077
Drip, Drip, Drip
Prairie Wind water loss
Drip, Drip, Drip
Not a good sound to hear anytime of the year. The day after Christmas is even worse. A local senior housing facility had a sprinkler head malfunction in the early hours of December 26. First call was to SERVPRO to attack the issue. Several rooms and a long hallway were saturated with water.
These water losses are tough for any business. A water loss in a senior center presents special problems. This water issue disrupts their lives, from being displaced from their rooms to a dining hall in some instances being flooded.
This is also very disruptive to the staff since the residents' daily routine has been interrupted. They want things back to normal as quickly as possible. The staff also has to deal with the additional hazards present from equipment being placed to dry carpet out.
Our goal at SERVPRO is to not only make it "Like it never even happened," but to do it quickly as we can.
Call SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana at 217-355-0077 for all your water loss needs!
Water Damaged Business Documents Need Restoration
SERVPRO Professionally Salvages Water Damaged Docs
Commercial Water Damage is very devastating, especially when there are paper records that have been damaged. Hard copies are sometimes needed along with digital files during the course of doing business. There are steps that you should implement when trying to preserve your damaged documents.
1. Start with the assessment of the present damage by inspecting the area well to aid in the determination of what type of equipment and work will be necessary in order to repair the damage to the structure, documents, and records. The inspection must be done thoroughly, but quickly. Focus on determining the type and extent of the water damage, items that have been affected, and what can be salvaged by professional commercial water damage experts. And take photos to substantiate initial water damage. It sounds like it is more prudent to call in SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana to restore both the structure and your relevant business documents.
2. Be sure to call your insurance provider to make arrangements for an adjuster to assess the water damage and set up the claim. Ask for a recommendation to restore your business space along with rescuing your documents. SERVPRO comes highly touted as a premier company that has the knowledge, experience, and equipment to mitigate water damage losses. We can also help with the insurance paperwork and the claims process to ensure your fair recovery value.
3. It is wise to freeze records that have been heavily water-logged. This is the most proven method of stabilization. This process should be done at approximately minus 20 degrees F if possible. Rapid freezing will prevent additional damage from immediately occurring and will allow more time for the drying process and the actual restoration later.
4. There has been much proof that the most efficient way to dry water-damaged papers and documents that have been frozen is to put them through the process of pressurized freeze-drying. The process is called "Lyophilization." This causes the water molecules to crystallize more rapidly that are in and on the papers and documents. By decreasing the pressure in the Freeze Drying Chamber the frozen water (crystals) will change from the solid phase of water directly to the gas phase--water vapor. This sublimation process enhances the chances of salvaging valuable documents in bulk.
5. After the documents, records and papers have been freeze-dried, they must be handled delicately and cautiously until they have had the necessary time to acclimate to their environment again. It is rather imperative to make sure that they are stored in a space that is well-ventilated and even air-conditioned. SERVPRO can restore most water damaged commercial documents to get your business back in order "Like it never even happened."
We Use Advanced Drying Equipment and Techniques
SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana invests in the latest technology and equipment because it helps us restore your business and documents more quickly and to minimize cost. Call us for all your Champaign/Urbana water damaging events to your business 24/7 at (217) 355-0077
Homeowners Prefer to Restore and Not Have Replace Water Damaged Hardwood Flooring!
Why SERVPRO’s Training and Equipment Leads to Appropriate Water Damage Remediation
When your hardwood floors become saturated from a leak or appliance malfunction it is hard to be patient during water removal and drying. It can take several days or more to return all affected flooring moisture levels to normal. Our training and experience in balancing the variance in moisture levels between the surface walked on, and the sub floor is one of the reasons why engaging our services during drying can protect your property.
Start at the Top
Water damage to floors requires the removal of visible water quickly. Pumps and extractors take care of collective surface water, but water migration between strips and planks is a concern. As water trickles through, it soaks the plywood or sub floor. Selecting efficient strategies to remove water below the surfaces is essential, why our team’s training and experience come in handy, negative air pressure floor mat systems can suction water from several levels. Air moving equipment aimed at the sub floor if there is access from beneath is another option.
Collect Moisture Data to Update Drying Goals
When working on a hardwood floor project, information about the moisture content of unaffected flooring in other areas of the house must be collected. Every home has a unique moisture level. In fact, when carpenters install a new hardwood floor during initial construction or a remodeling project, best practices dictate that the materials be delivered to the location and acclimate for a few weeks to adjust to the home’s regular moisture readings, avoiding shrinkage or distortion when finally installed. Accurate moisture meter readings sampled by our skilled technicians are why SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana delivers successful results.
Achieving a Balance Needs Professional Evaluation
When the top layer of hardwood flooring reduces to approximately 10 percent moisture content, this typically meets the drying goal. A problem arises if the sub floor still holds significant levels of moisture, the problem presented is that more drying techniques need to address the sub floor wetness, but the strategies cannot over dry the surface. Achieving this balance requires the skills of highly-trained technicians and continuous monitoring; this is why SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana is a reliable partner for navigating these difficulties.
Comprehensive training, state of the art tools, and dedicated technicians are why SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana is a premium, water damage recovery provider. Call (217) 355-0077 immediately when floors experience water loss for the best results.