Recent Cleaning Posts
Cleaning the Air after a Flood
The aftermath of a flood is no picnic. Even after all damaged materials have been removed and the ground floor has been thoroughly dried and cleaned, the smell of mold and sewage can linger for weeks or even months. If your home was recently in a flood, and you’re tired of your home reeking like mold growth and black water, your Champaign-Urbana SERVPRO flood restoration team offers these few odor removal tips that may be of use to you.
Steps for Cleaning the Air
Cleaning the air is fairly simple and involves a few common household items.
- Cat Litter: Cat litter is designed to soak up odors, so place a little bit in each room. Change it out periodically to make sure that it absorbs as much of the residual odor as possible.
- Vinegar: Place bowls of vinegar throughout your home, and in just a few days, your home will be smelling as fresh as it was pre-flood.
- Baking Soda: In addition to using baking soda on your carpets, you can also use it to zap odors from the air.
Mold growth can really stink up your home. To get rid of that bad smell, try utilizing the tips above from your SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana water damage team. Call us at (217)355-0077!
How to Clean A Crawlspace
In order to keep your crawlspace dry, you must dry it under negative pressure. This means drying through suction, pulling air out, rather than blowing air in. The suction drying technique is achieved by a dehumidifier drying the air in the room at the same time as a turbine creates high negative pressure in the structure. In other words, in order for negative pressure to be present, more air must be removed from the crawlspace that is added to space. If positive pressure is used to dry a crawlspace, exfiltration will occur, pushing particulate and odors into the living space of the structure.
Even the cleanest crawlspace is filled with dust, mold spores, dead insects, or worse. Our SERVPRO of Champaign-Urbana professionals uses a manometer to verify the negative pressure.
Why should you call a professional to clean out your crawlspace? For one, crawlspaces are dangerous places that must be entered with the right safety gear. If there is mold or other contaminants present, you must use the correct equipment and chemicals to clean and dry the area.
If you need to inspect and clean your crawlspace, your SERVPRO team of Champaign-Urbana is available 24/7, (217)355-0077. [JB]
When Vandalism Strikes, Here's What To Do
Unwanted graffiti can be a hassle to clean without the professionals on your side.
The sad fact is that graffiti happens all the time. It can be a senior prank in high school or out of sheer intentional mischief. Whatever the reason was, it decreases the overall beauty of the school or office building. SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana has a few suggestions when you first discover the graffiti.
- Vacuum any glass particles that may have ended up in carpets and upholstery
- Hose down or wash any egg damage from the building exterior as soon as possible
- Save any containers with the ingredients of spilled inks, cosmetics, and paints
- Make sure to keep a record of all damage when possible. Pictures work best to document everything.
If you are in need of commercial cleaning services, give us a ring at 217-355-0077. [JB]
Cleaning Your Air Ducts, Is it Really That Important?
Ever think about what inside your air vents could look like?
Did you know that, in certain circumstances, Duct Cleaning can increase your efficiency by up to 40%? That's a lot of money back into your pocket every month. Duct Cleaning is a process that can differ depending on each air system we come across, but the end result is the same... clean-air, and more healthy home and atmosphere. We use special equipment to ensure the safety of the air quality in your home. This includes special filters, ventilation equipment, containment barriers, and more. (For safety reasons, professional duct cleaning is often performed when your home is unoccupied, such as nights and weekends)
Here are some preventative actions you can take to reduce your need for Duct Cleaning.
- You should be changing your air filter on a regular basis.
- Try to always maintain good housekeeping practices, including regular cleaning/dusting to reduce the likelihood of contaminants.
- Have your duct-work routinely inspected, and regularly schedule professional maintenance.
SERVPRO of Champaign/Urbana
24-Hour Emergency Service
Independently Owned and Operated
Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration
Content Restoration after Fire Damage
From furniture to antiques to artwork and appliances, we at SERVPRO Champaign/Urbana will treat your treasures with the care they deserve. While some items can be cleaned on-site, in many cases we'll need to inventory, pack out and transport the contents of your property to our state-of-the-art facility to ensure the best care possible.
- Contents may need to be cleaned off-site
- Contents inventory
- Determine replacement and restoration
- Ozone treatment
- Odor removal
- We arrive on-site and inventory all of your personal belongings.
- We carefully pack all salvageable items to transport to our secure warehouse and cleaning facility.
- Unsalvageable contents are inventoried and discarded.
We have trained professionals to help you establish replacement values versus restoration costs. We are also available for pricing of non-salvageable inventory items.
- Thorough cleaning
- Proper handling of all electronics
- Photographs and artwork
- Soft goods
- Dry Cleaning
- Odor Removal (JB)